Wednesday 16 March 2011

Jy Dink Jy's Cooler As Ekke!

Does someone wearing a suit deserve more respect then someone who isn’t for example, a car-guard?
Should one in a suit be taken more seriously then one who isn’t?
“Social status can be understood as the degree of honour or prestige attached to one’s position in society”. (Maiese, 2004)
Today I was dressed like a homeless car-guard and I felt as if people looked at me with disgust.  Most people that I had encountered told me that I need to have a bath. I felt dirty and I too could not wait to have a bath. Due to the way people were looking at me I felt like I was part of the so called ‘low’ social class.
Should one get less respect because of the way one is dressed or because of what job they have?
I felt less respected today clearly because of the way I looked and the job I was representing.
“Occupying a high status due to a characteristic that one possesses means that on the basis of that difference, an individual acquires more power and privilege. That person’s opinions, ways of thinking, values, needs, and feelings are thought to have more value. There is a heightened sense of an entitlement to societies resources, including health care, education, and attractive employment. Often these benefits are derived simply from having a particular skin colour, being of a particular gender, being dressed in a particular way, or having a particular profession or degree. “(Maiese, 2004)





No comments:

Post a Comment